University records are transferred to University Archives & Historical Collections (UAHC) according to the assigned retention schedules. The following sections outline the procedures for accomplishing this.
For purposes of standardization and preservation, UAHC only uses a specific kind and size of box made with acid-neutral cardboard. Offices will need to call MSU Stores to order these boxes. The stock number is 17005000–Box, Archive. The boxes are available in any quantity.
It is important to pack university records properly into boxes in order to preserve the intellectual integrity and the physical materials.
- When packing boxes, do not combine different records series into the same box.
- Keep folders in their original order and transfer records in hanging folders to file folders and label appropriately.
- Place the records upright in the boxes from front to back (11 7/8-inch direction for standard size files and 15-inch direction for legal size files). If the box is only partially full, insert filler material such as crumpled paper into the back of the box to allow folders to stand firmly upright. Fill each box without overfilling to avoid damaging the records and making retrieval more difficult.
- A transmittal/inventory form (found in the forms section) needs to be completed for each record series. When placing records in the boxes, be careful to maintain the filing structure for that record series. For example, if the office created and stored these records in an ascending chronological order when they were active, box them that way for inactive storage.
Do not permanently label the boxes at this time. A permanent tracking number is assigned by UAHC.
The transmittal/inventory form must be filled out completely. This form serves as a record of what has been transferred to UAHC and is useful when retrieving records. For questions regarding any of the fields, please contact the UAHC staff at (517) 355-2330 or archives@msu for help.
Correctly labeled boxes are important for accountability and retrieval of records. Once UAHC has provided a tracking number, boxes can be labeled. All information needs to be written on the boxes below the top of the box cover:
- Write the tracking number directly on one end of each box with an indelible marker. Do not attach adhesive labels to the box.
- Write the box number (e.g., Box 1 of 10, Box 2 of 5, Box 1 of 1) near the tracking number. No additional information needs to be written on the box.
- Make sure that the label information is visible when the box top is on.
Call (517) 355-2330 or e-mail email@example.com when the boxes are labeled and ready to be moved. Shipping and box destination information will be provided at that time.