St. John's Student Parish Publication
c.00193

Summary Information

Repository
Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections
Creator - Author
Druse, Joseph L.
Creator
St. John's Student Parish. (East Lansing, Mich.).
Title
St. John's Student Parish publication
ID
c.00193
Date
1983
Extent
0.1 Cubic feet , 1 folder
Language
English

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: "Item title, Collection title, Collection Identifier, Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections, East Lansing, Michigan."

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

On October 1, 1940 Fr. Cecil Winters became founding pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in East Lansing, which was to have a large focus on the students of Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University).

Fr. Jerome MacEachin (Fr. Mac) succeeded Fr. Winters as pastor. Fr. MacEachin raised funds for a new student parish in 1954. In 1956 ground was broken. Fr. Robert Kavanaugh was assigned as the first pastor of the student parish.

Although Catholics at MSU gathered for worship and social activities prior to 1958, it was in that year that the Lansing Diocese opened St. John Student Parish to serve the Catholic population at Michigan State University.

[Source: http://www.stjohnmsu.org/index.cfm?load=page&page=2]

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection contains a 25th anniversary history of the St. John's (Catholic) Student Parish at Michigan State University written by Joseph L. Druse, Professor Emeritus, Department of Humanities. The history begins with the founding of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in 1940, and the founding of St. John's in 1957. It touches on social, political, and religious issues over the years 1957-1983. This history also contains a list of Parish staff members.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections March 1983

Conrad Hall
888 Wilson Road, Room 101
East Lansing , MI, 48824
517-355-2330
archives@msu.edu

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Custodial History

Gift of St. John's Student Parish, 1983-03-08.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • St. John's Student Parish. (East Lansing, Mich.).
  • St. John's Student Parish. (East Lansing, Mich.).

Genre(s)

  • Publications

Geographic Name(s)

  • Michigan -- Religion

Subject(s)

  • Catholic Church -- Michigan -- East Lansing
  • Student activities -- Michigan -- East Lansing

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Folder

Publication 1983 

1