Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church Records
00190

Summary Information

Repository
Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections
Title
Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church records
ID
00190
Date [inclusive]
1856-1997
Extent
1.0 Cubic feet
Language
English

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: "Item title, Collection title, Collection Identifier, Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections, East Lansing, Michigan".

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church is one of the oldest all-African American Baptist churches in the United States.

To avoid the discrimination they faced in predominantly white congregations, all-Black churches arose slowly, first meeting in homes and later building small churches. Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church was no different. Prayer meetings were held in homes in Cass County until an official church was organized in 1838. The first church building, a log cabin on the northwest corner of their current cemetery, was not built until ca. 1850. On January 4, 1848, the church was incorporated under the direction of Reverend David Lett.

Three years later, members of the church created the Michigan Anti-Slavery Baptist Association, which included congregations from Battle Creek, Detroit, Kalamazoo and Niles. From 1923-1934, no regular church services were held but a long history of religious revivals allowed Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church to continue its existence. Even after a fire in 1966, the Church was rebuilt in 1968 and still stands today.

The Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church Sunday School was created in 1879 with five teachers and seventy scholars. The Church is also home to a library that was created in 1969.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church records comprise one cubic foot and contain 11 folders and four bound volumes. The records span the years 1856 to 1997 and contain meeting minutes, financial reports, parish records and histories of the parish. The first constitution of the Church is located in the front of volume one. The materials are arranged alphabetically by subject.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections December 2005

Conrad Hall
888 Wilson Road, Room 101
East Lansing , MI, 48824
517-355-2330
archives@msu.edu

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University Property Rights: Michigan State University

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • African American churches
  • Baptists -- Michigan

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Financial Report 1945 

1 1

Highlights of Our Beginning Undated 

1 2

History of Chain Lake Missionary Baptist Church 1834-1948, 1838-1981  

1 3

Letter from Farmer's Mutual Fire Insurance Company July 14, 1933 

1 4

Letter from Rev. H.W. Burson October 21, 1946 

1 5

Meeting Minutes 1923, 1960 

1 6

Paid-Out Reports 1942-1944, Undated 

1 7

Programs 1944-1964 

1 8

Recommendations for Bylaws Undated 

1 9

Resignation of Rev. R.L. Shaw January 16, 1944 

1 10

Treasurer's Reports 1941-1945 

1 11

Volumes 

Box Volume

Parish Records [Births, Constitution, Deaths, Meeting Minutes, New Members] Circa 1856-August 1, 1903 

1 1

Parish Records [Births, Collections, Deaths, Meeting Minutes, New Members] Circa 1884-June 10, 1945 

1 2

Meeting Minutes October 14, 1945-July 1, 1961 

1 3

Meeting Minutes April 16, 1966-September 20, 1997 

1 4