Photos

Images Descriptions
"Elm Walk"

Along the northern border between the city of East Lansing and MAC was a double row of American Elm trees. This was known as the "Elm Walk" and was popular with students and residents.

Michigan Avenue image of buggy traffic and trolley track, looking west towards the City of Lansing, ca. 1898.

Michigan Avenue image of buggy traffic and trolley track, looking west toward the city of Lansing, circa 1898.

The first published map of the City of East Lansing (1913).

The first published map of the city of East Lansing (1913). It was created by Chase Newman.

Clinton D. Smith was East Lansing's first major and served 1907 -1908.

Clinton D. Smith was East Lansing's first mayor and served from 1907-08. He was a professor of agriculture and was known for his oratory skills. Also serving in the city's first administration were George Martin (city clerk) and Lory F. Newell (treasurer). Local legend has it that the ballot box for this election was placed on a stump outside East Lansing's Central School.

President Theodore Roosevelt riding in a REO automobile with MAC President Jonathon Snyder and driven by Ransom E. Olds.

President Theodore Roosevelt riding in a REO automobile with MAC President Jonathon Snyder driven by Ransom E. Olds from Lansing along Michigan Avenue through East Lansing to the MAC's semicentennial anniversary celebration and commencement. (Photograph from May 31, 1907).

This is the streetcar station near Grand River and Evergreen.

The streetcar station near Grand River and Evergreen. The line was extended onto campus. Grand River Avenue is in the distance behind the trees. The streetcar shown here is open air. (Photograph taken in 1901).

 

A streetcar line was extended from Lansing to the MAC campus boundary in 1894.

A streetcar line was extended from Lansing to the MAC campus boundary in 1894. The route followed Michigan Avenue and terminated at Harrison Road. Travel by horse and buggy was still one of the common modes of transportation. (c. 1905)

This is an early REO automobile at Pine Lake (now Lake Lansing).

This is an early REO automobile at Pine Lake (now Lake Lansing). This vehicle would have been seen on the streets of East Lansing and may have passed through on its way to Pine Lake. The photograph was taken as a demonstration to show how many people the REO could hold. (Photograph taken circa 1905-06).

The Whitmore House on Abbott Road around 1908.

The Whitmore House on Abbott Road around 1908. During this period, the house was used for off-campus student housing.

 

The Luther Baker House located in the triangle between Michigan Avenue and Grand River.

The Luther Baker House located in the triangle between Michigan Avenue and Grand River. This house is no longer standing. (Photograph taken in 1907.)

Chase Building

The Chase Building was built in 1903 and was located at the northeast corner of Abbott Road and Grand River. (Circa 1909).

This is the People's Church built in 1911.

People's Church was built in 1911. Later, a temporary building just east of this building was used to house the overflow crowds. It was known as McCune's Garage. Neville McCune was the pastor from 1917-49. A newer and larger church building was completed in 1926.

           
McCune's Garage was the nick name for the building used for handling the overflow of church members from the People's Church.

McCune's Garage was the nickname for the building used to accommodate the overflow of church members from People's Church. It was in use until the new church was completed in 1926. (Circa 1922).

 

Class of 1903 at the Central School in East Lansing.

Class of 1903 at the Central School in East Lansing. Modifications were made to this building to handle the quickly growing East Lansing population. The school building was lost to a fire in 1916.

 


*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.